Wednesday, January 27, 2010

2 Pounds!

This sounds like I lost another 2 pounds, right? Wrong. I didn't.

If you have been following this blog, you know I wasn't happy with my weight. I am 5' 10", so I can get away with some extra weight, but that double chin was KILLING me - you just can't hide a double chin!

But, I don't think I've given any hard numbers yet on what I weighed and where I'm at. So here goes:
I was a good size 16 and couldn't hide it anymore. I went to the Dr back in March of 09 for a check up and weighed in at 210. That is more than I weighed when I was pregnant! I was horrified, and since this happened on the tail end of some other, not so pleasant life experiences, I decided at that moment, on that Dr scale, I had to do something. So I started taking half.

June of 09 - this was a weight loss goal marker as we were going to Vegas (baby!) for a convention, and I wanted to look better by the pool and fit into a nice dress. I picked one up at Ross of all places - size 12. And it FIT, and FIT well! (Weird downside to losing weight - when you look better in clothes, suddenly you want to go shopping more often. I nearly dropped $150 on dresses one afternoon while shopping with my mother in law!) The convention was great and everyone commented on how good I looked (they had all seen the heavier me last year). It felt great.

Late summer 09 I hit a small set back as my daughter was ill and exercise was the LAST thing on my mind, but I did keep up on the eating half part, so if I wasn't losing weight, at least I wasn't gaining any. In October 09, everyone got sick. We caught H1N1 or Swine flu or Influenza A or whatever the flu was that knocks you on your back for 3 weeks straight. It is amazing how much weight you can lose when you only drink water and eat soup once or twice a day! At the end of October we had a birthday party to attend, and the hostess, who had not seen me since June, asked where the other half of me was. Score one for major illnesses!

Then on Halloween, I wore a wig as part of my costume, and a more distant relative didn't recognize me. That' when I really started to realize the change. Score one for wigs! Still a size 12, but now I was wearing my hubby's belts to keep them up.

Thanksgiving - the start of the scare - so much food! Half of a lot is still a lot! Thanksgiving night my mom said she had a lot of her "skinny" jeans to give away, mostly size 10 and 11 (juniors, really?!), but some 8s. The 12s and 14s were too big, and I did manage to squeeze into that size 8. Now we are getting serious.

Fast forward to Jan '10. I have to see the Dr about my hormone pills, and he asks if there is other questions I have. I decided to tell him about my weight loss and I need to know where to stop. He gets me on the scale. I almost can't look. This is it, the real validation. I had stepped on a scale at a store, but I was fully clothed and didn't want to trust its accuracy, but this was the real deal. I closed my eyes stepped on, took a deep breath and looked.

177.

177.

UNDER 200?! UNDER 180?! I had not been under 180 in 14 years. 14 YEARS!

I lost 33 pounds, still ate chocolate, didn't kill myself working out, and I did it. So then, when do I stop? 165? 160? The good dr punched some numbers into his computer and said, "You are spot on." I thought he meant my 165 number I threw out and said, "So, 165 is my target?" (12 pounds! within 12 pounds of my target!) And he said, "No." (?) "No, you are spot on right now. Your target is 170-175. I will let you lose 7 more pounds total, but then you need to stop, or you start falling into the "too thin" category. So let's stop at 170."

Spot on? I did it? I am 2 pound from my true target, but could stop now? I am crying as I write this.

We set the goals, hope for the best, but don't expect much when it comes to weight. It is a daily battle, and when we feel battle worn we turn to food to alleviate out stresses. I knew some weight was coming off, but the numbers weren't there. Do I fit into a 12?great. A 10? Awesome. But to know those numbers, to know I did it and lost that weight, that I am a healthy weight, 7 pounds from getting "too thin?"

Priceless.

No comments:

Post a Comment